About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 51-year-old Aspergic CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

1962; American Civil War Confederate Infantry, S13 / 01713 / 01713-2 - HO/OO

Another old favourite, not as favourite as "one of my favourites" of which we've had a few already, but definitely containing one of my favourite poses.

Thanks again to Kostas for scanning the 1975 catalogue, enabling me to knock-up these collages when my catalogues are in storage. The funny thing was/is; when I did the WWI sets back at the beginning of this blog, I went through all the catalogues, scanned the necessary pages, cropped-out the images I needed and didn't keep copies of the un-cropped scans! but it will all happen eventually...

...yet I did manage to file away this image from the 1980 catalogue?

These are mostly old film photographs, scanned-in and therefore low resolution I'm afraid. nearly all from my old 'war games' army (I never really gamed with it...some simple solo 'rules') and all following the Terrance Wise school of army building with pins, paint, cartridge-paper and a sharp knife!

Top left is an unfinished Union Iron Brigade flag bearer - with far too many stars! To be fair, I don't think there are even 50 either, I just did yellow dots 'till the red field was full! To his right is the only OBE, a 'Stars and Bars', then two more of mine (straight from Terry's book I think?), North Carolina (they need a new seamstress...what is that star all about!) and a Texan with a burnt corner.

Just before I left home to go off and do my bit in Berlin (and sunny Tidworth!) the Esci sets started to become available and I added a few officers, standard bearers and buglers to the two sides...I didn't like them because they had too much detail!!!! [I've got over that...it's progress - I know!] There's also a straight paint-conversion of a cowboy into a company runner/messenger.

Bottom left are my Iron Brigade, again a straight paint-job, with my little half-company made from my favourite pose. it's not that good a pose, but with only three per box and none in the Union Infantry set, it was hard to come-by so I sort of grew found of it!? I paired all the figures with two singles for casualties and the two command figures also individually based. With the half-company there were only the two singles and one was supposed to be an NCO with a crudely cut kepi

Fine detail and eyes were drawn/dotted-in with mapping pens and all uniform colour schemes were taken from the Blandford books or a couple of the early Men at Arms series...this was the late 1970's with the Esci's painted around 1982, which is 3 years earlier than PSR lists them as having been first issued?

Returning to the middle-shot for a moment, it's taken me 30-odd years (and I've had the photographs for more than ten) to notice the leg of the middle chap is covered in flocked green paint! I used to cover the base in thick paint, dip it in the flock, and then turn it upside-down to tap the loose flock off, it must have run down then!

OBE's - none of them are from my hand, if you recognise your work let us know; Above left are the same unit looked at in the Union post above, they are confederates, but with the floppy had cut to a stiff 'French officers' kepi, any ideas? There's another shot of them bottom-left.

Top-right are painted-up to represent revolution era French Line Infantry, or AWI (?) with a sort of bicorn-hat, while below them are later guards (I never know the difference between Young, Line and Imperial with these Wellintonians) waiting for the return of their heads.

Some more serious attempts at conversion (including a Roman - 3rd from the right!) above and various paint treatments/styles below, the paucity of money and supplies in the South, allows for greater variation, although I wonder if a lot of that isn't myth, or history being written by the victors, I bet there were threadbare Northern units and well-dressed Rebel outfits. I rather like the Indian Mutiny figure forth from the right on the top row and what looks like the beginnings of a pirate with pink trousers bottom left!

You only have to look how a body recently found in an English municipal car park is going to lead to the re-writing of the entire History of King Richard The Third! Not short, not stooped, no twisted spine and he went down fighting a dozen or so of the usurper's bully-boys, so no coward either. He wasn't dragged through the streets by a cart, nor were his ground-down remains burnt, fed to pigs, dogs, or thrown in a river!

Favourite pose, man on a mission! Don'cha'just love that 70's charm, more gloss than matt, gloss yellow leggings? All-over gloss green? Can't get enough of these, me!

The sample I'm working from with these images, the large bag at the top is 'unpainted, unsorted', the big square one nestling below it to the left is 'painted unsorted' (now I've put the OBE's up here, they'll get a paint-stripping session), with the smaller bag to its right holding all the broken, chewed, converted and otherwise damaged figures and part-figures.

The rest are complete sets (boxed and 'sprued' ended up in storage), with a single war gamer's collection to the right, another guy's to the left, unpainted sets in the middle and a few stand-alone sets in the corners.

Three of the painted sets; from the big collection to the right, the smaller collection to the left and a mixed set in the middle (it's got a few of the paint-conversion nappies in it if you look closely!). one day I hope to base, touch-up and matt all of them...or that's what I tell myself to justify the plastic mountain!

The content of one of the bags from the larger collection displaying the contents of a complete box. So much more useful without all the prone figures of the Union set.

Colour variation, there are warm 'pink' greys and cold 'blue' greys in there and a slight loss of detail or increased flash as the glossier figures come-in in the late 1970's. note the flap of flash on the back of the figure top right (three in), caused by an ill-fitting mould - he's a late figure.

Why the Confederate Infantry is ten times (or ten figures!) better play-value than the Union Infantry set. If you go back to the top of the post and read the blurb from the catalogue though....close one huh? Quote; "crawling", that blurb is unchanged from earlier editions, and clearly someone was going to make the two sets even more similar?


Finally - for now - a comparison with the French Foreign Legion set, also sculpted by Nibblet, and using most of the poses from the ACW sets, with a few more besides, the similar ones illustrated above.



The only accessory issued for the wild west was a very useful log-fort, and while its walls were impossibly thin, more garden shed than defensive frontier barrier, it looks good enough when you're a kid!

A scan of an old photograph of the same conversions shown above, even the officer has had the hat treatment, any ideas as to nation depicted? War or campaign?

Matchbox/Airfix comparison


Links

PSR's Confederate Page
My Old 'war games' Army

No comments: